Double Chocolate Coconut Muffins
adapted from Pastry Affair
These muffins are a great way to incorporate flax meal in your diet. Here's a little info about flax meal, it provides fiber & Omega-3 Fats AND it's Gluten Free!!! Flaxseed Meal has a robust nutty flavor. Several studies show Flaxseed Meal may be one of the most powerful natural cholesterol controllers. One serving of Flaxseed Meal contains 2400 milligrams of Omega-3 fatty acids which is essential to our health.
If you bake these in the evening it's makes for an easy grab-n-go breakfast in the morning!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup finely shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin or line with baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, flax meal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the egg, vanilla, coconut oil, and milk, mixing until the batter is evenly incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
- Divide batter evenly between baking cups, filling each 3/4 full. Sprinkle the tops with chocolate chips and coconut flakes, if desired.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.