Monday, October 15, 2012

Time Management

I don't know about you guys but it seems like there just isn't enough time in a day to do all the things that we need to get done, not to mention those things that we just want to do, you know like hmmm...shave your legs or finally polish the toenails on your left foot. Haha I know I'm not the only one! o_O

Well being a SAHM (stay at home mom) it can be easy to get off schedule and just wing it, "what's so wrong with that" you ask? Nothing....if you are one of those "fly by the seat of your pants" type of gals. But if you're a planner like myself then time management or the lack there of can either make your day a success or a total disaster.  While I was in cosmetology school, being organized and managing my time well made things a lot easier for me, the Hubs and the babies. So I have put together a few steps and some tips that have helped me and I hope will help you also.

Step 1.     Determine your passions & gifts. What things are you passionate about in your life? What are your gifts do you have those things that you are naturally good at doing?

Step 2.     Determine what your priorities Are & Aren't. (Ex. when making schedules or task lists prioritize them by things that MUST get done and things that you would LIKE to get done.)

Step 3.     Create a "Time Budget"
  1. Total up the hours in a day (or week).
  2. List all activities to accomplish in that time. (Don't forget sleep!)
  3. Determine the amount of time needed to complete each activity.
  4. If there isn't enough time in the day/week:
    • steal time from other activites
    • streamline and take less time on activities
    • get someone else to do it
    • drop it completely
Step 4.     Create a daily/weekly schedule to have a "blueprint" of how your day/week should go. *Do not get discouraged if you don't follow it exactly.

So those are 4 steps to get you on your way to better time management. It is very important not to feel discouraged or unaccomplished if each day does not go as planned. Hey we are human right, and life throws us curve balls so just go with it! Your daily/weekly schedule is simply there to help you get things in order. I know there are MANY days that I am forced to deviate from my schedule in most cases just because I simply don't want to do something at that particular time. Such is life...Right? o_O

Along with those steps here are a few tips that may help you as well.
  • Avoid distractions like the T.V., computer, phone, etc. while tackling those priority tasks.
  • Avoid multitasking. Well this one is easier said than done, but if at all possible, try it.
  • Create cleaning schedule(s) for daily/weekly cleaning (blog post coming soon).
  • Prep for the next day the night before ex. lunches, clothes, etc.
  • Utilize meal plans such as planning a weekly menu or freezer cooking (blog post coming soon, by the way this saved me when I was in school)
  • Try to do at least 1 load of laundry per day to eliminate laundry pile ups
  • Do not hesitate to delegate. We always feel like we have to do it ALL. Well nobody is perfect and if you know someone that does "do it all" she/he is probably superhuman, Just sayin! 
So there you have it! I hope that this will be helpful to you all. How do you guys manage your time? Share any suggestions in the comment section!
~Rissa~

No comments:

Post a Comment